Top 10 Family Outdoor Activities for Great Outdoors Month 2020
The summer solstice marks the astronomical beginning of Summer. With the changing of the season to warmer temperatures, the sizzling heat gives people a reason to escape the stale indoor air and enjoy healthy fresh air. Finding outdoor activities for the entire family that everyone will enjoy can be cumbersome. There are many outdoor activities that can be fun and fit for everyone.
1. Picnics have always been the traditional form of outdoor hobby. For those that would prefer a more laid back activity, a picnic might be your best choice. Picnics are generally centered around your food choice. To even make the picnic extra fun, try having a themed picnic. Choose your theme around your food choice. You can even incorporate entertaining lessons into the themed picnic. For example, if you chose to have Italian food, then come up with topics surrounding Italian lifestyle or history and have discussions or games centered around Italian. You could maybe even discover new words in that foreign language and use them while you talk about the topics. Also, not only can picnics be surrounded by food selection, but perhaps also by activity. For example, you can have a nature trail picnic. Select picnic areas that have natural trails. But make sure it is somewhere were you can leave your picnic items because it would not be enjoyable if you had to lug around your picnic basket.
2. Camping is a great outdoor activity. Camping usually demands a lot of preplanning. To go camping you would need to choose whether on sleeping in a tent or if you will be renting a cabin. Also, depending on the length of the camping trip, you will need to decide what things you will need to bring for food preparation. Building a camp fire can allow fun activities such as weenie roasts and smores. Camping can incorporate many other activities. One popular camping activity is fishing. So, don’t forget your fishing rods and worms.
3. If you don’t have a lot of time on your hand, but would like an outdoor activity that fits your time budget; visiting your local park might be your choice. Many towns and cities have a least one park. If you are fortunate enough to have a choice of parks, it is good to visit the park briefly to determine if it is the park for you. If you have children, you may want a park with lots of outdoor play equipment. If you are a pet owner and want to take your pet, it is important that you know what the pet policy is for that park. A popular park activity is Frisbee tossing. This is fun for both children and dogs. Also, kite flying is fun, but only if the park has a good open area with no trees or power lines.
4. Swimming is an activity that is generally popular with most kids. When the temperatures rise, cooling off in a big swimming pool can be ideal. There are many options when it comes to swimming. If you don’t mind spending money, you can visit a water theme park. Also, most cities have public pools that you can visit. If money is tight, you can always purchase above a ground pool and enjoy swimming all summer long.
5. Volunteer work is a very rewarding activity. Incorporating volunteer work into an outdoor activity is very simple. Cleaning up a park is a great outdoor volunteer activity. If there is not a volunteer group, you can either clean solo or you can form your very own volunteer clean up crew. This gets others involved and it cleans the environment.
6. Beaches are the epitome of summer fun. There are so many things you can do at the beach. If you are the athletic type, surf boarding or boogie boarding might be your activity of choice. Also, if you are the adventurous type, you can try wind surfing or parasailing. For those that would much rather unwind on the beach, reading a good book as the waves crash can be relaxing. For children, have a sand castle building competition.
7. Hiking can be another rewarding and healthy outdoor activity. Hiking can come in all forms. Whether it is a simple nature walk or a rigorous mountain hike, you can bet that hiking can be interesting. To make the hiking experience even better, a simple scavenger hunt can be quiet fun. Prior to the hiking trip, make a list of things that you would see along the hiking trail. Then as you are hiking, try to find things on your list. For kids, this can be very educational.
8. Golfing is great relaxing activity that the whole family can enjoy. Teaching kids to enjoy golf can be worthwhile. Golfing is an activity that they will enjoy for the rest of their lives. Golfing can be a wonderful social activity and it gets you outdoors to breath the fresh air.
9. Another great outdoor activity is gardening. Gardening is a fabulous activity for children. With gardening you can either plant flowers to improve the appearance of your yard or you can plant vegetables. Growing vegetables can be gratifying for children because they will see the process that vegetables undergo from a seedling all the way to the kitchen table. Also, keeping a garden is a summer long outdoor activity and requires patience for a successful outcome.
10. Astronomy is another great outdoor activity that most people don’t think about doing. Astronomy can be a fun and education activity that can be enjoyed by the entire family. During the dog days of summer when the heat is very excessive, most individuals will remain indoors. But once the sun sets and the temperatures diminish, this paves the way for an evening of sky viewing. Visiting planetariums and observatories to brush up on your astronomy may make your astronomy time additionally meaningful.
Whether you are engaging in docile activities such as gardening or picnicking or more vigorous activities such as hiking or surfing; there will always be great outdoor activities for any individual or family. Involving your entire family or extending the welcome out to your neighbor or friends can prove to be both socially healthy as well as physically healthy. Remember to always choose safe activities that everyone will enjoy and always come prepared with water, first aid kit, and/or maps. If your choice of outdoor activity includes nature, be sure to be aware of poison ivy or oak and insects in order to keep everyone safe. Put on your outdoor clothes and shoes, grab your family and head outdoors.