I’ve been at this game of connecting children (and their adults!) to nature for a long time. One of the things that I have always said was missing in our efforts is a true marketing and media campaign.
Sound daft? It’s not. Let’s face it — marketing works for a reason.
I am so excited to see the film, Project Wild Thing! Watch the trailer below, and I’m sure you will be as well.
Cheers to David and all of those involved in the film. Be sure to check out the webiste.
See ya outside! ~ The Grass Stain Guru
Let’s think of this post as our virtual Thanksgiving table, shall we? So let’s join hands and all share what we are thankful for.
Besides the obvious and critical items, of course:
- stretchy pants
- cheesy basic cable Christmas movies (best enjoyed in stretchy pants while eating pie)
- the fact that as much as we love them, relatives will eventually leave (let’s just hope there is pie left)
OK, I’ll start…
10. The smell of the sidewalk after a warm summer rain.
9. The sound of leaves crunching under my feet on a fall hike.
8. SQUIRRELS (squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!)
7. The feeling of mud between my toes and grass beneath my feet.
6. Crocuses sticking their colorful heads up out of the cold earth, reminding me that spring really will come.
5. Staring at the ocean and understanding what forever looks like.
4. The feeling of sun on my face and breeze in my hair.
3. The smell of lilacs and honeysuckle.
2. The fact that I was raised as a Free Range kid and allowed to develop my own sense of self, love of the natural world and the type of resiliency and capacity for wonder that allows me to be a happy adult.
1. All of my outdoor play and nature friends out there across the globe. How amazing is it to grow up to do what you love and connect with others who believe in what you do? THANK YOU!
Thank you all for being in my world. Wishing you the happiest of Thanksgivings, or to those from elsewhere — a great big beautiful day! (Um, filled with pie.)
See ya outside! xoxo – The Grass Stain Guru
It’s ba-ack! That’s right folks, your old friend the Mystery Critter is back and ready to stump you.
So put on your thinking caps and let’s see if you can crack the case. And remember — no cheating!
- I am considered to be quite beautiful
- Sadly, I am on the Endangered Species List
- I feed solely on one plant
- I am found in approximately six (6) US states, including Indiana
- You may not see me where you live, but you can see plenty of my cousins
What am I?
Make your guess, and then go here for the answer and more interesting facts. Did you get it right?! If not, no worries — you’ll have another chance soon!
Favor: Don’t share the answers in the comments below or out there in the social mediasphere — we want to keep the game fun for all.
Now, you probably won’t get a chance to see this Mystery Critter this weekend, but rest assured, there is plenty to be seen. Just step outside with open eyes and a quest for adventure. Grab the kids, and see what you can find.
And let folks know about it! Join the Wildobs community, and report your wildlife observations.
Fun Fact: Today (May 19th) is National Kids to Parks Day! I hope you will all celebrate with the ones you love.
Until next time, my nature detectives! Don’t forget to #playoutdoors.
See ya outside! – The Grass Stain Guru