The stark realization has hit: It’s almost August. And the incredible summer days and nights we dream of most of the year are quickly passing us by.
GASP. I know.
So consider this a little Public Service Announcement from your friendly neighborhood Grass Stain Guru…
GO OUTSIDE & PLAY.
Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. No more excuses.
- Catch fireflies
- Run through the sprinkler or have a wet sponge fight
- Roast the perfect marshmallow or challenge yourself to come up with a gourmet s’more recipe
- Head to a nearby fishing hole. Take a child who has never had the opportunity and watch their eyes light up.
- Try geocaching
- Have a watermelon seed spitting contest
- Camp. Backyard, tree house or nearby county or state park — it doesn’t matter as long as you sleep outside
- Eat a popsicle under a shade tree and play The Cloud Game
- Find a nearby trail and hike when the sun is not too high — early in the morning or at dusk
- _________________ (Use your imagination and share in the comments section! What’s your #10?)
When September comes and the kids head back to school and the summer light starts to fade, you will have such fond memories of time spent in the pursuit of play — and making the most of this gorgeous planet that we call home.
Trust me — this fact will make you happy. The end.
Don’t miss out. Mother Nature has something great waiting for you…
See ya outside! ~ The Grass Stain Guru
PS: And because it always reminds me of summer fun, a little They Might Be Giants. Sing along with me!