Wow — 29 Mystery Critters! Can you believe it?! Don’t worry — I won’t ask for your guessing record.
OK my wildlife detectives, let’s get to it. Put on those thinking caps and let the guessing begin!
- I am found throughout much of North America, but not in the Rockies or Northern Plains;
- I am beautiful — the showiest of my species;
- My habitat includes wooded rivers, ponds, and swamps.
- In the late 19th century, I was almost hunted to extinction; and
- My numbers have bounced back, and there are now over a million of us in North America. (Yay!)
What am I? Make your guess, and then go here for the answer and more interesting facts. Did you get it right?! If not, no worries — you’ll have another chance next week!
You may have never had the chance to see one of these beautiful critters, but no doubt you have seen one of its cousins. Take a water-side walk and see what wildlife you can spot this weekend. Nature has something to offer around each corner of this amazing planet of ours.
And don’t forget to let everyone know what you see! Join the Wildobs community and report your wildlife observations. It’s a great way to keep track of your wild adventures and share info with others.
See ya outside! ~ The Grass Stain Guru