Week #21. By now, no doubt, you are wildlife geniuses! The Nancy Drew of dung beetles and the Hardy Boys of hedgehogs, errrr, so to speak.
So, let’s get to it. Put on those thinking caps and let’s play! And remember — no cheating!
- My habitat is deciduous forests and woods;
- I am a leaf eater, and especially love oaks and hazelnuts;
- I can be found throughout much of the US and as far north as Alberta;
- My main predator is birds; and
- I am one of only three species like myself found in North America.
What am I? Make your guess, and then go here for the answer and more interesting facts. Did you get it right?! If not, no worries — you’ll have another chance next week!
If you got it right, let me know on Twitter @balmeras, but don’t give away the answer, please. We don’t want to ruin the fun for others!
You have most likely seen this Mystery Critter before, but you might not even know it. Take some time this weekend to go explore the wild in your world — the nature in your neighborhood.
Don’t forget to let folks know about what you see! Join the Wildobs community and report your wildlife observations. It’s a great way to keep track of your wild adventures and share info with others.
See ya outside! ~ The Grass Stain Guru