OK, it’s August. I get that. Many of you are “schwetty” hot, with the dog days of summer in full bloom. But in the spirit of Frolic Friday — a time dedicated to play and getting outdoors — I still want to encourage you to spend some unplugged time outdoors. Just take precautions. (And if it’s not super hot where you live — get out there and live it up!)
Tips for dealing with excessive heat:
- Head outside early in the morning or after sunset
- Drink plenty of water
- Wear a hat and sunscreen, and stick to the shade if at all possible (read: think woods!)
- Limit your time a bit — try a series of mini activities/outings or water-based activities
- Make an ice coffee and spend some time in your yard or favorite park, photographing the summer blooms in the beautiful morning sunlight
- Go stargazing — right in your neighborhood, or head outside of town where there are fewer lights and the stars are easier to see
- Just too hot? Check out one of the fun family programs that nature centers, children’s museums, and libraries offer.
As always, it doesn’t matter what you do — just give yourself permission to play! Leave the chores undone for a bit and have some fun. I promise, the laundry is not going anywhere. (Trust me!)
Now, if you will excuse me, this girl needs some of that hot August air. After all, what would summer be without it?
See ya outside! – The Grass Stain Guru